Tuesday, November 24, 2009

loose ends in bangkok

Breakfast! love the buffet. Do you think they count how many times one returns to the buffet? Amy was distraught looking for the smoked salmon. I was satisfied with noodle soup,pad Thai,sauteed vegetables, sliced papaya, pineapple, watermelon, watermelon juice, poached eggs, bacon, cheese, salami, pastries and coffee. We needed to be fortified because it was amulet market day and a tad of site seeing to make the trip a true cultural experience.

Crossing the river we picked up the express boat not to be confused with the tourist boat or the boat that takes you to the Peninsula or Oriental or Ramada (how did the Ramada get in that mix?, probably 'cause it sounds like the Islam holiday Ramadan.

Off and running to the reclining Buddha. No wonder he is reclining. He is the length of a football field, ok each toe was a foot...thing is huge. I took a photo of his nipple and it took up the entire frame.

Headed down the block to the Grand Palace...doesn't have a lot of stairs so next trip I can bring Craig. It is an awesome architectural wonder and so glad it is not my responsibility to clean the tiles which decorate every surface. Ya gotta see it to believe it. I have been to the Grand palace more times then I can count and it still amazes me. The King of Siam had it good and at 350 B entrance fee( $11.00) a person, he still has it good!

We then headed over to the amulet market, finding unusual malas and Buddhist accessories. How do Monks hold up their safforn colored robes? Well, as it happens they have a wide selection of belts...and velcro.

We picked out tons of fun things,the shop will organize a cargo company to pick it up and ship it to Chiang Mai, my trusty agent organizes the loot and some how it arrives to the states.

It was now time to head back to the hotel, grab our bags and head to the airport and Chiang Mai....but there on the street I spotted a vendor selling the "penis amulets," which I had an order for.

The old gal wasn't up for discounting dick, so I paid what she asked but firmly asked her to take out the amulets she was sneaking in my package and trying to charge me for...one never knows what is really behind those Thai smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment