Saturday, December 5, 2009

Broken Shower


I broke the shower…Ut oh

It is not uncommon to see older Balinese women bathing along the road in the evenings at local wells topless. Well utilized breasts, now in retirement, for the world to see.

I would like to think I am not yet in that category and was attempting to be modest by standing behind the column in my pleasantly designed stone outdoor shower. The style is a hand held with a holder for standing underneath the spray. I was adjusting the angle because there were worker bees on the roof of my uncompleted villa next door.

We obviously had a view of one another. Hello Wayan,  hello Made,  hello Nyoman and  hello Ketut. The next I knew water was shooting up like old faithful. Only Made fell off the roof. Maybe I am older then I think!

In Bali, the general rule of thumb no matter what, if you break it you pay for it. Especially with car accidents. If you run into someone from behind it’s your fault even if they pull out in front of you. No eye contact is ever made therefore one can always say, "I didn’t see them."  I’m guessing I may have had an expensive shower. Won’t be the first bath I’ve taken!



Another charming tradition here is the names of children: if you are born first your name is Wayan, second Made, third Nyoman and fourth Ketut…fifth…you start over with Wayan. It can be a tad confusing if there is a large family.

I am Ketut Salai  (prounced like King Tut) and Amy is Nyoman Amy (pronounced like the Seinfeld character Newman)

Amy is still sleeping. I guess her Mosquito net is sound proof. A huge palm leaf came crashing down just missing her bed. Paradise can be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment